18 July 2015

Lou it Yourself: A Badass Unicorn

Today's mani features a polish by Lou it Yourself called A Badass Unicorn.
The first time I saw this polish I knew I had to have it. For one, I don't have any deep, black holos. And, two, who doesn't want to own a polish named A Badass Unicorn?

On the website it's listed as a black jelly holo with a hint of gold shimmer. I 100% agree with the holo part. Before I even put it on my nails I could see the delicious rainbows shimmering in the bottle. It definitely has a strong linear holo and I think it's the gold shimmer that causes the green and yellow colors to stand out more than the other colors in the rainbow.

I'm kind of on the fence the jelly part, though. I mean, I'm no jelly expert, but I just don't see the squishiness. It was also opaque in one decent coat. Here's the full swatch, one to two coats, topped with Seche Vite:

lou it yourself badass unicorn swatch

Update: the maker contacted me and let me know the description on the website is outdated. This is not, in fact, a jelly. Which makes me feel a bit better, because I just wasn't seeing it. I'll take a quality one-coater over a jelly any day! 

The macro really shows the strong holo in this polish. It makes me think of a unicorn wearing a leather jacket riding a Harley.

lou it yourself badass unicorn macro

You all are in for a real treat today! This is the debut of my first ever galaxy mani. For some reason I've always been super intimidated by this technique but it's really not too challenging. I was inspired by @anas_manis on instagram.

lou it yourself a badass unicorn galaxy

I used Jess Lacquer Cyantifically Proven and Pigment of your Imagination, which are beautiful light blue and purple cremes, and B Squared Lacquer's That Base, which is a highly pigmented white polish, to create the galaxy cloud. I dabbed a q-tip into the color and then blotted it onto my nails, starting with the blue and then layering the purple then white on top. I used a dotting tool and fine brush to create the stars. I finished it off with a coat of Seche Vite.

I'm actually really happy with how it turned out. Even my husband could tell it was a galaxy!

-twp

No comments:

Post a Comment